Monday, April 11, 2011

Scamp (Aug 1995 - Apr 2011)

Last Tuesday we said our final goodbyes to Scamp. He lived a long life and was much loved.





Scamp was the family dog. He was born just before I entered college and when my brother was still in high school. He was there through our graduations, weddings, the death of my grandmother and mother and the birth of two children.

He was around before my first digital camera, I had to find and scan these photos!





After I moved out we'd steal Scamper on the weekends and for camping trips. When we bought our house and started fostering his visiting tapered out. He never became comfortable with the company of other dogs, I often wonder if this had to do with the fact he was a singleton puppy.



My brother inherited Scamp after he got married and my niece and nephew have not known life without him. He was a pretty good first dog for them.



The twist in this story is that Scamp decided it was time to leave us while my father, brother and family were on vacation.

My aunt called me when he stopped eating, drinking and was having a hard time breathing. I spent all day agonizing over the vet visit that was scheduled for that night but then relaxed. We all knew this was a possibility. My brother and I had talked about it before he left, for which I was extremely thankful. He almost made the appointment before leaving but just couldn't.

We'd leave it in the hands of the vet.

The vet knew my brother was back in 5 days yet did not feel Scamp could be made comfortable for that long. That was enough for my aunt and I, we said goodbye for everyone and let him go peacefully.

Run free, Earls Little Nipper, run free.

5 comments:

Mimi and CC Cabana said...

I'm so sorry about Scamp and the difficult decisions you had to deal with while your brother was away. It's great that everyone was in agreement, though, and all wanted what was best for Scamp.

He was a gorgeous dog, and it sounds like you all gave him everything he could have wanted in his life.

Hugs to you and your family.

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

Beautiful boy! Good long life, too. Dutchie (our Sheltie) went the same way, and it was the hardest thing to lose her. They're the best little dogs...

*hugs* to everyone, but especially you for being there for him.

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

I'm very sorry for your loss Tracy. It's difficult to lose a friend that has shared so much of your life.
RIP Scamp

Urban canines said...

Run free Scamp! Sorry to hear of your loss. Our time with our dogs is never enough.

ra husky said...

soft husky woooos,

RA & Isis