Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dog Blood Donor

Over the holidays I applied for Lexis to be a blood donor through the Blood Donor Program at the University of Guelph.

We live close to the OVC and Lex fits their requirements perfectly. She's the right breed, size, age and she's friendly and healthy. The OVC replied to my application saying they have a waiting list but are keeping our application and we may be contacted in the future.

If we are contacted I will need more information before going through with it. Lex is very active and I will be trialing her starting next year, I would not want her in danger and am curious if this would affect her training. She's also intact and I have no intention of spaying her at this time, I would need to confirm that isn't a problem.

I found out about this program a few years ago when I had a foster in their clinic for an emergency. A dog blood donor was not something I ever would have thought about before then, but it's obviously needed. It's been on my mind since but none of my dogs have fit their criteria until now.

Have a look for a dog blood donor program in your area and see if your dog is eligible to help. Blood can save a dog's life... it could save YOUR dog's life.

5 comments:

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

I never thought of that either, until now. Good Girl, Lex.

Urban canines said...

What a great way to give back to helping other dogs in need!

Lena said...

I had heard about this program, but the closest place to me is about 4 hours away in Raleigh, NC. I think it is a great way to give back and help other dogs! Way to go Lexi!

*~Amy~* said...

The clinic I work at has a cat and dog blood donor program and it works great. I know any females can't have had a litter, but don't think we specify that they must be fixed.

K9-CRAZY said...

Thanks Amy.