Wednesday, November 03, 2010

T"ick"!

Petting Lexus last night I felt... something. Something not right. Something on her head near the base of her right ear. Ewwww.

My brain fired off three possibilities in quick succession:

1- Cancerous growth and she was going to die
2- Tick
3- Burr

Please God, let it be a burr I gulped as I prepared myself to take a closer look. Kevin lucked out of being involved as he had just left for work. I was alone, submerged in my own drama.

Damn, not a burr. And since cancerous growths don't usually have legs I had no choice but to accept possibility #2 as the truth.

A quick google search showed me how to properly remove the tick. Grabbing rubber gloves and tweezers I took charge and forced myself to get over my irrational fear of this tiny invasive creature.

Those little parasites can be hard to pull out I discovered! Lexus was great, she held still as I pulled slowly but firmly. Out it came. Along with the head. Whew. Not having a container to place it in I quickly took a few pictures and flushed it down the toilet. Bye bye icky tickie!

Cleaning the area I took note of the large swollen bump where the tick was removed that I'm going to keep an eye on. I also raked through her entire coat to see if I could find any more. All was clear. Bullet then got the same once-over.

Lexus has recently begun to blow her coat so after a long walk through the woods on Saturday I gave her an intense bath, blow and brush. Sunday she was running through forest and field, with a swim and I gave her another full brushing, but not as thorough as Saturday's as I focused on undercoat removal. So I'm thinking it could possibly have attached on Saturday or anytime after that.

The tick looked exactly like the deer tick in the middle of this group shot I pulled from here. Same size, shape and colour. I haven't been able to find a website that shows me if I can determine how long the tick was feeding by it's size, therefore how long it was on her.



I've been searching the web for information on lyme disease in dogs or any other complications. Looking for what I should do now. I've found advice ranging from taking the dog to the vet immediately to just watching them for signs of problems. I'd rather not overreact but I can't figure out what overreacting would be in this case. I'm afraid that if I call my vet he'll convince me to medicate/vaccinate, 'just in case'. I'd rather not unless it's necessary.

So I've decided to wait and see, if anyone reading this disagrees I'd love to hear from you, please contact me.

When you take into account everything I do with my dogs and where we travel, I'm very surprised I haven't had this happen before. I'm thinking that keeping a comb in my car and brushing them out before driving home might be a good thing to do from now on!

6 comments:

Christine said...

Jasper had a tick before. It was on the inside of her hind leg. I didn't know it had burrowed it's way in there. So she had a huge lump and I kind of popped it and out came the dead tick. Phoned the vet and they didn't seem concerned as they said lyme disease wasn't found in that area. A quick call to your vet should help reassure you.

Anonymous said...

Here is a natural remedy for fleas and ticks Most products used can be bought at a health food store or if you're in the EG area, the Corner Pet store - Corner of Waterman and EG Blvd, across for Bel Air on the South side of EG Blvd, on your right as you're going East on EG Blvd and crossing EG Blvd.

The jury is still out here as to whether or not this home brew formula is a tick deterrent, but it seems to work for mosquitoes and fleas. It does work (I've been told) and is cost effective in the long run. The oils will last for many seasons to come.

It's totally essential oils, 2 to 3 drops each of:
Cedarwood
Citronella
Eucalyptus
Orange
Peppermint which is also GREAT at repelling ground dwelling bees [no-not Yellow Jackets! they are wasps]
Pine
Rosemary
Sage
Tea Tree

All mixed into 16 Ozs of spring water. OR TO MAKE THE OILS WATER FRIENDLY use ethanol alcohol if available in your area. Next best thing is to use Vodka (friend used bottle Absolut Vodka). What the heck. Might as well have some good stuff on hand in case Bloody Mary's are required.

So, the new recipe is the above oils, 2oz of vodka, and 14 oz of spring water (though a smaller amount of water doesn't seem to be a deal breaker as I had trouble finding a spray bottle in anything other than 12 oz).

A quick shake of the spray bottle and it's good for the dogs.

Mitzi

Anonymous said...

K -

You also can put some liquid soap on the tick (on a cotton ball) and it will back out. I also put a cotton ball soaked in alcohol on them and they will loosen their grip. I use something to grip them so my fingers don't touch the nasty things - tissue, paper towel etc.

I either "flush them" or put them is a small container of alcohol.

They do have special little tools to remove the ticks if you want to go that way.

Mitzi

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I used the wrong name/initial. Just reading other posts and mixed up who I was writing.

Mitzi

workingdobes said...

You can submit your tick for testing to find out if it was/is carrying lyme disease. Through your clinic definitely, however you could also potentially submit it to public health and they could do the testing.

K9-CRAZY said...

Thanks everyone!

I flushed the critter Kourtney, no body to test this time. Lexus is going for her rabies in a couple of months, I'll ask my vet if blood should be taken at that point.

That spray sounds like the perfect thing for when I'm entering the wild.