Petting Lexus last night I felt... something. Something not right. Something on her head near the base of her right ear. Ewwww.
My brain fired off three possibilities in quick succession:
1- Cancerous growth and she was going to die
Please God, let it be a burr I gulped as I prepared myself to take a closer look. Kevin lucked out of being involved as he had just left for work. I was alone, submerged in my own drama.
Damn, not a burr. And since cancerous growths don't usually have legs I had no choice but to accept possibility #2 as the truth.
A quick google search showed me how to properly remove the tick. Grabbing rubber gloves and tweezers I took charge and forced myself to get over my irrational fear of this tiny invasive creature.
Those little parasites can be hard to pull out I discovered! Lexus was great, she held still as I pulled slowly but firmly. Out it came. Along with the head. Whew. Not having a container to place it in I quickly took a few pictures and flushed it down the toilet. Bye bye icky tickie!
Cleaning the area I took note of the large swollen bump where the tick was removed that I'm going to keep an eye on. I also raked through her entire coat to see if I could find any more. All was clear. Bullet then got the same once-over.
Lexus has recently begun to blow her coat so after a long walk through the woods on Saturday I gave her an intense bath, blow and brush. Sunday she was running through forest and field, with a swim and I gave her another full brushing, but not as thorough as Saturday's as I focused on undercoat removal. So I'm thinking it could possibly have attached on Saturday or anytime after that.
The tick looked exactly like the deer tick in the middle of this group shot I pulled from here. Same size, shape and colour. I haven't been able to find a website that shows me if I can determine how long the tick was feeding by it's size, therefore how long it was on her.
I've been searching the web for information on lyme disease in dogs or any other complications. Looking for what I should do now. I've found advice ranging from taking the dog to the vet immediately to just watching them for signs of problems. I'd rather not overreact but I can't figure out what overreacting would be in this case. I'm afraid that if I call my vet he'll convince me to medicate/vaccinate, 'just in case'. I'd rather not unless it's necessary.
So I've decided to wait and see, if anyone reading this disagrees I'd love to hear from you, please contact me.
When you take into account everything I do with my dogs and where we travel, I'm very surprised I haven't had this happen before. I'm thinking that keeping a comb in my car and brushing them out before driving home might be a good thing to do from now on!