Monday, October 18, 2010

Bringing up Beauty

Sylvia McNicoll is a Canadian author from Burlington who has written a series of 3 teen books about service dogs in training from Lions Foundation Dog Guides here in Ontario. They are called Bringing up Beauty, A Different Kind of Beauty and Beauty Returns.

Having just finished reading the second book I'm going through puppy withdrawal. Serious puppy withdrawal. I'm not sorry we kept Lexus, but I know I'll foster again. I miss it! Having a new dog on a regular basis has been a huge part of my life for a long time, and it's something I really enjoy doing.

Fostering may be a selfless act for many people but it wasn't for me I have to admit. For me it was about getting my hands on new dogs that I didn't have to keep. It was an opportunity to learn. Oh, and being able to take cute puppies into public places was a nice bonus!

3 comments:

*~Amy~* said...

All time favorite books! I met up with her at the Open house for Dog Guides on the weekend! She is a very nice lady and even wrote about the puppies in a recent blogpost on her site! http://sylviamcnicoll.blogspot.com/

I'm just starting the "Last Chance for Paris" series, it's about a young girl who rescues a stray puppy (part wolf) and ends up training him for search and rescue work, hopefully it's good as well.

dinsdaledogs said...

Let me know next time you are having puppy withdrawal, I will be happy to send you one...or two :-))
Lori

K9-CRAZY said...

And what cute stocky puppies they are Lori!

I'm going to have to read that series Amy, any books that have animals as a main element are on my list.