Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Extreme De Bellator

Lexus is mine. 100% mine. She is here to stay.



Anyone who knows me realizes how huge this decision is. It's so much more than just keeping a dog. It means no longer fostering, and fostering has been a big part of my life for a long time.

She was a safe foster. A special chance for me to raise and train a German Shepherd - a breed I've never been drawn to and never wanted to have. At a year I'd hand her back. Simple! Handing them back is easy for me considering my heart is made of stone. Turns out it's not a very solid stone. There was always the option of me keeping Lex and I think this made a difference and allowed her to worm her way in.

She hasn't been the easiest puppy I've ever raised. She was more independent than I'm used to with her own little puppy agenda full of future puppy antics. Sure she was willing to please... herself. She was whiny - I hate whiny puppies. She was a little drama queen, screaming bloody murder over the stupidest things. Her reactions to other dogs concerned me. Her attention, recalls and puppy obedience wasn't progressing the way I'm used to it progressing.

But there were glimmers. Spots of brilliance. Moments where we clicked. I felt the possibilities in these seconds and clung to them, rewarded and shaped them.

She's a happy girl, funny and confident. She provides a nice energy in our home. She gets along with the pack. I'm really excited about our future together.

When it came time to make a decision I realized - I didn't want to let her go. Sometimes it's best to embrace happy accidents with both arms and not let go. So I bought her, and she's mine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! :)

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

You were always a great match as far as I could see :)

dinsdaledogs said...

OK it's NOT a Schnauzer...but it is another German breed, guess I will have to see past the lack of beard. Congrats on the new, permanent addition!

K9-CRAZY said...

Yeah, I know! Not a GS! I can't imagine life without a goofy Giant and will always have one around though.

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

A German Shepherd was my best friend at 12 years old.
I have Gordon Setters now, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for the one I had. You won't regret your decision!
Those Schnauzer's are pretty cute too!

Christine said...

Congratulations on the new permanent addition to the Riley family!