Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Microchips and Scanners

How confusing are they? Two days ago I hadn't given them much thought. Today I was scrambling to find out what kind of chip Bullet was implanted with and what kind of scanner would read it.

You see, I've entered Bullet in a trial for his SchH 2 May 8th. My rule is to never let anyone know I'm trialing until AFTER the trial is over. I figure it will help keep the nerves at bay, not sure if that actually helps or not! That strategy was blown after a freakout panic about rule changes and now an urgent need for a chip scanner.

So why the need for a Microchip Scanner?


When you enter a Schutzhund trial a few things are required. A copy of the dog's registration papers, info on the sire & dam, your German Shepherd Schutzhund Club of Canada (GSSCC) membership number and your dog's identifying mark. I guess a lot of people still tattoo their puppies, but Bullet only has a microchip.

On the day of the trial, as part of the temperament test, your dog's tattoo or chip # is looked at and matched to the paperwork to provide a positive ID.

Most clubs have a chip reader for trials, but just to be safe I wrote to confirm that this club DID have a chip scanner. Turns out they don't. It's a good thing I asked!

According to the GSSCC rules it is my responsibility to bring a reader with me. With the trial only two weeks away you can see why I've started my scramble now.

Thankfully Pando from the Saugeen Schutzhund Club has offered to lend me his, and in the meantime I'm going to place an order for one of my own. It's something I can lend out to friends in the future, and when Frontier Working Dog Club has a trial we will have one on hand if it's needed.

CONDUCTING THE TATTOO CHECK (from the GSSCC Rule Book)
The judge has to verify in the trial documents that the tattoo check was conducted. If the tattoo mark is not clearly discernible, in all cases the identifiable marks are to be recorded. The tattoo number must agree with the pedigree/scorebook submitted by the handler. In the case of difficulties in the appearance of the tattoo (illegibility of the numbers for example), the trial paperwork is to include an appropriate remark. Owners of dogs that are micro-chipped are responsible for providing the necessary equipment for the identity check.The dog handler is responsible to identify his dog.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I can't read Mya's tatoo number. I just found it last summer when I had to shave her belly because of her yeast infection.