Monday, November 30, 2009

Couch potato


Hey Lex, don't you know that to be a good working dog you shouldn't be on the couch? :)

Service dog puppies have very structured lives and strict rules... they are not to be on any furniture, they are not allowed people food, there is not to be any tugging or retrieving games and they are not to jump on people, etc.

Lexus is being raised as a Schutzhund puppy so none of these rules apply! I have to say that this makes it more fun, it's been a while since I've had a puppy I can roughhouse with. I can invite her up on the couch to snuggle. I can share some of my leftover supper. We tug and play ball and I allow her to jump up.

Bullet and Glory weren't sure they liked this new puppy arrangement, but we've been giving them lots of attention too and they are adjusting well.

(I didn't end up naming her in the end and the name "X" just wasn't working for me... certain sentences just came out sounding all wrong, for example "Where's X?" I proposed that we call her Lex or Lexus, and in the future if her name is shortened back to X she will not have a problem with that.)

5 comments:

Cabana's Puppy Raiser said...

What a cutie! We both blogged couch potato dogs today!

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I appreciated your input very much.

Ally, Teddy and Kira said...

She's so adorable!

I'm watching Aftermath: Population Zero for the first time ever and recognized Bullet running towards the elephants and was so excited! My husband was totally uninterested but I found it fascinating! Good job, Bullet and Glory!

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

The wife of a guy I sing with is deaf, and has a service dog - a small poodle. I have no idea how he got through the training. He doesn't listen to either of them, and when we were dismantling things after our concert last weekend, he took off on her. He also does nothing BUT jump on people as we're sitting on the couch. Clearly he was not raised by you ;)

See you tomorrow night!

Christopher said...

I think you should just start calling it a short list of random names. That way, it responds to all sorts of names, and everyone else will be confused. It'll be like an inside joke between you and the dog.

K9-CRAZY said...

Having a service dog puppy has it's own fun elements... I can't bring Lexus with me to malls or out to dinner in a restaurant.