Thursday, May 22, 2008

A journey towards patience, always on the horizon.

Are some people naturally more patient than others? Yes, I believe certain personality types are. Am I one of them? Absolutely not!

Patience defined:
pa·tience –noun
1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay: to have patience with a slow learner.
3. quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence: to work with patience.

Patience is something I've been consciously practicing in many areas of my life lately – God, work, finances, relationships and yes, dog training :) It's hard to be calm and even-tempered when things aren't going our way. It's easier to get irritated, angry or even to give up completely. Yet instant gratification isn't always the best route and I believe the reward is very powerful for those who can develop perseverance.

On the dog front, what makes this journey of mine doubly exciting is the fact that I'm training a creature who has the same, um, "problem" with patience. I take full responsibility for that and now I'm learning a lot working with him. I'm very thankful to have an instructor that is patient with both of us!

No comments: