Thursday, April 17, 2008

DANGER - Marrow bones.

Marrow bones used to litter my living room floor and backyard. The fear of the weight bearing bones slab fracturing their molars is what caused me to stop feeding them to my dogs. Bullet is a hard chewer and was showing damage to his teeth at a young age, not something you want with a Schuthzund dog, or any dog for that matter.

There is a new reason I will not give my dogs marrow bones:





Yeah, but what are the chances of that happening to your dog?

Great enough not to risk it I think. The first time I heard of it was last June when a friend of mine came home to find his dog in distress, displayed in the image above. Read Chico's full story here.

Two weeks ago the same thing happened to a friends 6 month old German Shepherd puppy. He required a trip to the emergency vet where the bone was sawed off under an anesthetic.

Today my copy of Shepherd Sports (the official publication of the German Shepherd Schutzhund Club of Canada) came in the mail. When browsing through it I happened upon the article "The Most Expensive Bone Ever". Yep, you guessed it. A marrow bone got lodged over the jaw of this woman's dog.

If you do choose to hand your dog a bone, please make sure it is an appropriate size for your dog.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Thanks for the reminder. Although I don't feed them to her any longer, there are still some outside.

Jules and Ike said...

Oh my gods. How scary. While this isn't something I have to worry about with Ike I will be keeping it in mind for future dogs.